$14 Million Awarded in Asbestos Exposure and Mesothelioma Lawsuit

nurses in hospital

A South Carolina jury has awarded a sum of $14 million dollars to the family of a man who died from mesothelioma and subsequently filed an asbestos exposure and mesothelioma lawsuit against a polyester manufacturing company.

The defendant in the case, Celanese Corp., reportedly owns and operates a polyester fiber manufacturing plant where the victim, Dennis Seay, worked for a nine year period from 1971 to 1980.

The jury in this case reportedly found that Celanese Corp. was, in fact, negligent in their alleged failure to provide cautions about the dangers of asbestos exposure. The company is also accused of failing to offer protection to its employees, including Dennis Seay.

The jury awarded a total of $14 million dollars — $2 million in punitive damages and $12 million in actual damages — to Seay’s surviving family members. But according to a spokesperson for Celanese Corp., the company reportedly plans to file an appeal.

According to a press release issued about the jury verdict, the victim, Dennis Seay received a pleural mesothelioma diagnosis in 2013 (More on pleural mesothelioma here). Mesothelioma is a rare form of cancer that has been linked to asbestos exposure. Seay reportedly passed away the following year in 2014 at 70 years old, following nearly a dozen incidences of collapsed lungs.

These repeated incidences of lung collapse, combined with lung draining procedures, reportedly caused the man a great deal of suffering — a point that the jury presumably took into consideration as they arrived at their ruling.

Other Significant Jury Awards in Mesothelioma Lawsuit Cases

This jury award in an asbestos exposure and mesothelioma lawsuit is quite significant for its amount, which surpasses the $13 million Colgate-Palmolive asbestos lawsuit jury award in April 2015. In that case, a woman alleged that asbestos-contaminated talcum powder manufactured by the company caused her mesothelioma diagnosis. A jury agreed and awarded the plaintiff a sum of $13 million, after finding Colgate-Palmolive held 95% of the responsibility in that mesothelioma lawsuit. A total of four other defendants were found responsible for the remaining 5% of liability.

Notably, there was a second company named in the Seay family’s lawsuit. The John Crane Inc. company manufactures a gasket that contains asbestos, but this company was not found to be liable in this particular case. John Crane Inc. was found liable in another recent mesothelioma lawsuit case involving a $1.42 million jury award.

Are You Considering an Asbestos and Mesothelioma Lawsuit?

If you or a loved one were diagnosed with mesothelioma from asbestos exposure, you may have a viable case for a mesothelioma lawsuit. Mesowatch has experience in a range of different cases and their asbestos lawyers and mesothelioma attorneys are now available to accept new cases.

Mesowatch works not only with asbestos exposure and mesothelioma victims. The law firm also provides assistance to family members of mesothelioma victims and others who’ve passed away from asbestos diseases.

It’s essential that you take legal action immediately, though, because the law limits how long you have to file a mesothelioma or asbestos claim.